Wednesday, September 26, 2007

River Kayaking

I must appologize for my nonexistent posting as of late, it has certainly not been for lack of adventure, but merely for the reason that school has started and I have been busy teaching.

The next morning after our Fair adventure, we were off to do some kayaking on the Nisqually River with the Rowlands.









After hearing about the numerous crashes and tipping of the last trip, and how cold the water was when you fall in, I picked what I hoped was a pretty stable boat, and what would hopefully keep me remotely dry.

Mom and Casey, Daniel and Megan, Priscilla and Jaime, all rode in doubles, and Mrs.Rowland, Mrs. Langford, Jonathan, and Graydon, Langford, David, Nathan, and Jason Rowland, Stephen and I, rode in singles.

It turned out to be a beautifully sunny day I believe it was around 70 degrees, which I was grateful for in case I fell in.
For most of the trip I followed David because he had been down a few times and I figured would know where the best places were, at first I was a little dissapointed because though I had gotten a little wet from the first few rapids I hadn't had much adventure, Yet.
After we made it safely down each one we turned our boats around so we could watch everyone else.
So far everyone had tipped except for Me, Mom and Casey, Sill and Jaime, David, Nathan, and Jason.
Priscilla and Jaime were in a double and after several comments from them about their supperior boatsmanship (or what ever it may be called) we were all quite ready to watch them tip.
It just so happened that we all got our thrill at the same time.

As we finally approached "The Big One" we watched as one after another the kayaks started to tip, as I decended the rapids, I ran right into a huge boulder, which tipped me sideways and in a few seconds the whole kayak was filled with water.
Daniel and Nathan stopped to help me dump out the water which was very difficult in the middle of the river,and as they did their kayaks went floating down without them.
As soon as I got in, it filled again so we decided to just send it down and float after it.
It was great fun and very exciting except for all the rocks I ran into.
After everyone had finally made it down we all took a brake and most of us sat on the rocks that were scorched by the sun.

After changing kayak arrangements and switching around, we all headed off again, and as we were nearing the end, Megan, Stephen, David and I had a race to the finish line.
David and I being in a double tied for 1st, Stephen was 2nd, and Megan was 3rd.
After carrying the kayaks uphill, we waited in the sun for everyone else, and then we ate pistachios while we waited for the Van.

When everything was loaded up we went back to the Rowlands house for pizza and volleyball,
then to home sweet home and a good nights sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Lightening Storm Girl, the 1st said...
    Hey! I found you!
    Sounds like a fun adventure...but not quite as exciting as our early morning escapades!

    September 27, 2007 9:12 AM
    Jacqueline said...
    quite right!
    Your name is very fitting for the way you treat your guests!

    September 28, 2007 6:41 AM
    Daniel Berkompas said...
    It looks like your experience with "the Big one" ended up like mine. ;) Few who go over it float to tell the tale...

    Did anyone survive it?

    (other than Casey, of course)

    September 28, 2007 11:20 AM
    Jacqueline said...
    yeah, Mom(who was with Casey) David and Megan(in a double)
    made it nice and dry.

    All else were lost.

    But I don't think it would have been half as fun had I not gotten to experience floating down without my boat.

    September 28, 2007 1:39 PM
    lightening girl said...
    Now, dear, *WHO* was it that jumped on me at 6 am? Man! the way guests treat their hostess!!! ;)

    September 29, 2007 10:41 AM
    Jacqueline said...
    Excuse you for your misunderstanding, I simply turned on the light, Priscilla did the jumping.
    And hey you should get up earlier.

    September 29, 2007 12:40 PM
    lightening simulator... said...
    I WAS up early! In fact, I had only gone to bed 20 min. before you came in! ;) Are you coming over?

    September 29, 2007 3:08 PM
    Jacqueline said...
    Not sure yet!
    hopefully.

    September 30, 2007 4:22 PM
    Stephenb said...
    I don't think that my tips quite counted - I only filled up with water. And of course, I thought nothing of nearly drowning, being pinned underneath my kayak by tons (more or less) of crushing water. Three minutes and a blue face later (or something to that effect) I managed to get out. FYI.

    September 30, 2007 4:26 PM
    Benjamin said...
    Looks like fun. I've never been kayaking, but maybe next summer during a moment of financial forgetfulness I might just splurge and buy one, or at the very least rent one for a day. Too bad summer's gone already.

    September 30, 2007 5:55 PM
    Katie said...
    Hey, I know the Rowlands too. Were you at their picnic this year? I don't remember seeing you there, but I'm still torturing myself trying to remember where I DID see you before. Somewhere in this small world of ours... :) I've always wanted to try kayaking. I don't know if I'd have the courage though. The thought of tipping overwhelms me.

    September 30, 2007 9:08 PM
    Jacqueline said...
    To Katie: are you referring to their celebration picnic in June? if so then yes we were there, but
    I don't recall seeing you there either.
    Kayaking,you should try it, the tipping is one of the most exciting parts.

    To Benjamin: Those are pretty costly but it is lots of fun. Too bad you missed out on the guy's trip.

    September 30, 2007 10:50 PM
    Cassandra said...
    I really can't quite forgive y'all, Jacqueline. Between you guys and the Rowlands, you had our kayaks for a good part of the summer, yet you never invited US once! : > Fine Friends. LOL!
    Cassie

    October 1, 2007 11:17 AM
    Jacqueline said...
    Hey now, you get to have them for the rest of the year and ya'll have gone on plenty of trips without us.
    Fine friends yourself! ;)

    October 1, 2007 11:52 AM
    Cassandra said...
    We don't live on a river. : D We never did get that inner-tubing day in, did we?
    Cassie

    October 2, 2007 11:43 AM
    Michelle said...
    Hey Jacqueline!!
    Well I'm back! ;-)
    I went to Journey to the Heart! Its back at Head Quarters and also at the Northwoods in MI.

    It looks like you had a lot of fun Kayaking! I've been before but only in the ocean....and I didn't tip....

    I can tell you've been busy. Keep up the good work!

    I'll be posting pictures soon....so keep an eye out! :-)
    Love ya girlfriend!
    -Michelle

    October 2, 2007 11:57 AM
    Melissa said...
    Looks like fun!!

    October 2, 2007 7:20 PM
    thevaguequeen said...
    Hey Pricilla and I did just fine, thank you. ;-)

    October 3, 2007 3:46 PM
    Megan said...
    -clears throat-

    Excuse me... I think I got second place and Stephen got third. ;-) Whatever! It is cool to see the pictures.

    October 4, 2007 2:44 PM
    Jacqueline said...
    Thats what I thought but Stephen said it was the other way around.

    October 5, 2007 10:33 AM

    ReplyDelete